In an increasingly connected and digital world, everyone is a data consumer - from the general public and community groups to researchers and small businesses.
Data.gov.au exists to help you to easily discover, explore, and visualise data from all over Australia. The reasons you need data can be myriad and varied:
- you might need data as part of a report you’re preparing,
- to provide input into a business decision,
- or simply to plan a trip.
Through a range of powerful data visualisation tools, you’ll be able to explore data without the need to install or learn the sorts of complex software packages that used to be required to work with data.
Navigating the wealth of data available from governments at all levels in Australia can be daunting. So we’ve put together a range of resources to give you a helping hand in your quest for the right dataset - and if you can’t find what you’re after, assistance is only an email away!
As a data consumer you benefit from the sum of all the other parts of the data lifecycle:
- Data creators and publishers acquire or produce raw data and information and make it available for use by the community.
- Data professionals and software developers take raw data and turn it into knowledge and wisdom, or create new digital services, tools, and apps from it.